Wednesday, November 16, 2011

It's Real

Warning I ramble a bit in this one...

This dream of mine is really happening. I know, I know; Sean it was real when you were offered the job. But it really hit me yesterday, again I know, I know I keep saying that. It was an early 6am wake up call so finish my ironing, shower, gourmet breakfast of S'more Pop Tarts, then on the road. Pops had said he wanted to make the trip with me so we'd be leaving from my parents in Chandler. He also has this thing about wanting to take his M3 over my single cab Ranger. I don't see why, the Ranger has four cylinders, power nothing but steering, and some sweet stickers on the rear window. Whatever if he doesn't want to take my sweet ride I guess we can take his hoopty.

Okay back to the story you folks are here for. We set out and hit the carpool lane as soon as we got on the freeway. Nothing like Pops and I laughing at people as we cruise through town. In the words of Julio sucks to suck nerds. We jam out to some sweet tunes; for a middle age man my father has a quality taste in music, go pops. We continue to chat the whole way, and by chat I really mean me talking my fathers ear off. I kept going on and on about how excited I am about the job, rambling on about Disneyland facts, I think I brought up potential living situations but who can be sure. Five and a half short hours later we pull off on Katella, throw the top down on the M3 and head towards Downtown Disney.

My father has never been to Downtown Disney, heck he's never even stepped foot on Disneyland property since before they built California Adventure. After we parked in Downtown Disney lot we dug into our lunch, shout out to Moms for packing us tasty foods. Then it began, Pops knew I have a wealth of Disney knowledge, but I think I surprised him. We took a leisurely strolled around the Disneyland Hotel; the new E Ticket pool just opened and it looks great. Pops was happy to find there is a Haagen Dazs in Downtown Disney and picked up some over priced ice cream. While Pops indulged his sweet tooth I used the lovely facilities at the Disneyland Hotel to put my dress pants on. Then the fun park started; I had to finish changing in the parking lot of Downtown Disney. I certainly got my fair share of interesting looks as I changed from a tshirt to my dress shirt and shoes. Ladies and gentlemen I have zero shame so those interesting looks had no effect on me.

We head to casting, I grab my paper work and Pops turns the car into his office. There were about ten of us there for Onboarding paperwork and we all made small talk. It was a fun group of people, I'm glad that I get to do Traditions with them next week. Onboarding wasn't anything special, I signed my life away to the Mouse, took a picture for my Cast Member i.d., and went over when and where we need to be for Traditions. I can't wait to see these people again, everyone was super friendly and I'm sure the nine hours we spend together for Traditions will feel like much less.

The housing situation: The one and only thing that I was stressed about was my housing situation. I was making jokes to everyone at Onboarding that if I looked like I slept in my truck the next time they saw me it was because I did. I had a sweet cottage to check out... the sweet cottage turned out to be one step up from my truck. PSA: If a room or house on Craigslist only has photos with awkward angles AVOID IT AT ALL COSTS. This "cottage" was a room slightly larger than my bathroom, it had an outdoor only kitchen, and the bathroom was off the back of the main house without a lock on the door. I should have know that for 500 dollars it was too good to be true.

PSA #2: HAVE A BACK UP PLAN! I had emailed several other people regarding rooms off Craigslist and none of them had got back to me. Not wanting to waste time Pops and I hit up a local gourmet dinner, McDonald's I think it was called, so I could get back on Craigslist. I found two rooms that looked promising and set up a meeting for them both. Folks there is someone upstairs looking after me, I have positive karma, however you would like to say it, I have good luck when I need it. The first room was amazing; only slightly smaller than my current room, private bathroom, and in a sweet townhome that has been overhauled in the last month. I feel like I'm forgetting something, oh two cool guys as my landloards and roommates.... Still there should be something more... oh it's on a street called Walnut. You don't know where Walnut is? Walnut is the street that borders the west end of the Disneyland Resort property. That's right I will be living within walking distance of work, I see plenty of theme park time in my days off. Pops and I wrapped up things at the new place and hit the road. We stopped at another one of those classy McDonald's for some sodas and ate some meatball sammiches, another shout out to Moms. The drive home was much quieter than on the way to Anahiem. In fact I passed out a few times; I ended up getting back to my apartment around 2:30, unpacked only my phone charger and passed out.

Yesterday was a long day, but it was a very rewarding one. My paper work is filed, I have a start date for work, an amazing place to live, and I start my dream job a week from Saturday. For those in Arizona please lets spend sometime together before I move next Friday; for those in California get ready. It's real, I'm chasing One Dorks Dream.

1 comment:

  1. I love your story! I'd love a chance to email you and pick your brain for tips on the process, if you're willing.

    ReplyDelete