Wednesday, November 9, 2011

It Happened

I got an interview with the Walt Disney Company for an Attractions position at the Disneyland Resort. I couldn't have been more excited about it; I was so excited I'm pretty sure some of my friends got sick of hearing about my interview and my excitement.

I could hardly sleep the night before, my generous estimate is two hours of sleep. So by the time my alarm went off at 6am I was already on my computer and eating some breakfast. That's a pretty normal morning for me; most of the time I'd get my cycling clothes on and head out for a ride, this day was different. I was about to embark on an adventure to Anaheim for my interview. I knew that leaving at 7am for a 4pm interview would leave me plenty of time for any problems that might arise as well as the battle against Phoenix rush hour and LA traffic. I had a worry free drive and in just a little over five and a half hours I was in Anaheim around 11:30 local time.

My luxurious room at the Extended Stay America wouldn't be ready for me until 1pm so I did what any weary driver would do, seek nourishment. Sticking with the trips theme of luxury I went to the McDonald's across from the park and ordered a McRibb. As you can see I was clearly going all out on this trip folks. After my five star lunch I headed over to Downtown Disney to take some photos, walk around, and kill some time. It may be early November, but in true Disney spirit Christmas decorations are already popping up in Downtown Disney and the entrance gates at Disney California Adventure. So I took some photos of the decorations and random shots of the DTD, the esplanade between the parks, and Disney's Grand California. It was shortly after 1pm, so I headed to my classy hotel.

Normal check in stuff, the room wasn't anything special, and the wifi was horrible; again I am the 1%. Nothing memorable or blog worthy happened between 1pm and 3:30pm. After my shower I headed to "The Big Green Building" as it's referred to by anyone who has ever been to it. It's the home of Casting (Disney term for HR) at the Disneyland resort. What I felt was the best mix of nerves, excitement, and anticipation. I after I entered I was told to have a seat in the lobby and wait until a Cast Member called my name. I have to give it to Disney, even the interior of the Casting Building is wonderfully themed. From Disney Characters on the walls, the names of rooms, to Disney movies on the many TV's. My name as well as five others was called and we entered a "Cast Member Theater" to watch a movie about working at the Disneyland Resort. It covered things like the "Disney Look", pay schedule, ect; most things I knew, but it was a nice refresher. As soon, I mean I didn't even have a chance to sit back down in the lobby, my recruiter Wendy greeted me and invited me into her office. I remembered the many tips I had received; I smiled, made eye contact and was my normal bubbly self. A few minutes of chit chat later (Wendy said it was my interview) I found out that I would not be receiving the job I had interviewed for. However Wendy insisted that she had a job she felt was much better suited for me and I would enjoy much more. I was offered a position as a CM at Innoventions; Innoventions is a combined walk through and interactive attraction in Tomorrowland. Wendy said I would have my more guest interaction than at other attractions and it is a higher pay scale. I was SOLD! We went over the next steps for me, instructed to wait for emails so I could accomplish those next steps, and I was on my way. I did it I was offered a position as a Cast Member at Disneyland. I forced myself to contain my excitement until I was in the privacy of my own truck, once there I let out a cheer and called my parents and told them the great news. A quick 10 minute drive back to my baller hotel room and I began the many calls letting friends and family members the good news.

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you are writing this! keep up the awesome work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! I loved my time working in Inno and I'm sure you will too =)

    ReplyDelete